or an elder engage a professional lawyer, building contractor or insurer to
perform work for you make sure you carefully review the contract and follow these
- Get all estimates in writing.
- Ask for work references, then call them.
- Read and understand contracts BEFORE you sign.
- Never sign a contract with blank spaces.
- Keep a copy of the contract, signed by the con-tractor.
- Read and understand what your guarantee covers...and does not
cover. Have verbal guarantees put in writing.
- Don't shop for price alone...compare price and quality. Find out if
you are entitled to a refund or an exchange, if dissatisfied.
- Understand layaway commitments.
- Read ads carefully...read "between the lines."
- If in doubt, check the firm's reliability with former customers, or
the Better Business Bureau.